Life

Life
You only ever do this once.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

92% To Win, But Lose


My buddy Mike gave me a call this afternoon to talk some poker and tell me about some of his streaks lately and how he's coming off a nice $350 win in an online tournament. Naturally, this got me buzzing about poker again and I decided that we should play some together when I got out of school today. What better way to pay off that stupid improper lane ticket bullcrap I got a few weeks ago, right?

It was the longest day of school ever: Rain, studying, senate, and an itch for poker that I just couldn't scratch. Eventually, the day came to an end and I headed immediately home to log in and find a good tournament.

I got Mike on the phone and asked him to play in the same tournament as I did so that we could discuss hands as we went along. Mind you, we weren't at the same table, so we weren't discussing hands that each other were involved in. Anyway, we decided on a $11 tournament in which there were 2800 entrants and first place was $4,165. Not a bad chunk of change if I do say so myself. The blind structure wasn't bad and we got a nice lump of 3,000 chips to start off with.

The tournament started off a little shaky for the both of us and our stacks dropped down to about 1,000 each. I got a little nervous as I headed into the first break with only 950 chips and blinds of 100/200 after the break with a 25 chip ante.

When the break ended, I came out with guns blazing. I fired in some pots and doubled my way up to 1,900. After a few more hands and a sick bluff on a guy that had been pushing garbage the whole tournament, I was sitting back casually with 9,000 in chips. There were only 200 more entrants to go and we were in the money.

That's when something terrible began to happen. I picked up AA under the gun with blinds at 150/300 and a 50 chip ante. I raised quickly to 900 and got a re-raise to 2765. I thought for a second about how to play this hand and re-popped him to 4750 and he reluctantly called. The flop came 10, 6, K, rainbow. I fired out my remaining 2140 chips into the massive pot and expected a dominating call. After a while of delegation on his part, he called and flipped over JJ. "YES," I yelled and jumped up out of my chair. He only had two outs and if he didn't hit, I'd be sitting with over 21,000 chips going into the second break.

The very next card dealt was the jack of clubs. (Refer to picture above for initial reaction) I was devastated. All my hard work in this tournament was again for naught as the river drew a blank for me and my tournament was ended. I missed making the money because some donkey made a terrible call and then got lucky on an 8% chance. What a son of a bitch.

I guess there's always next time! You can find me on Pokerstars playing in the nightly $20,000 guaranteed under the tag wishywash489. Come join me and let's play!

No comments:

Post a Comment